Friday, July 22, 2011

FRIED PICKLES!

Now, I know frying things isn't good for you; I truly do.  But as someone who recently decided to try and cut out most red meat, all processed meat, and make non-meat choices as frequently as possible (not for any particular moral or ethical reason, more for health reasons), it's baby steps.  So that means fried pickles.

You have to be a pickle lover here, but if you are, then you're in for a treat!  The recipe below has no measurements; I don't measure a thing for this, so i'm sorry if that's confusing. :)

First you need to blot dry your pickles.  I prefer chips, personally, but you can use thin slices of whole pickles or even the tiny gherkins.

For the batter:

In a bowl, put about a cup of buttermilk.  add salt, pepper, smoked paprika if you have it, and some tobasco.

In another bowl, mix some flower (um...maybe a cup? 2/3?), and I like to add some panko, too.  Salt, pepper, more smoked paprika, and anything here you'd like, really....garlic powder, parmesan cheese, any dry herb, etc.

While you're waiting for your oil to heat up and your pickles to get dried, make the dipping remoulade:
Mix it all together, and tweak it til it tastes right.
  • some mayo (I make my own mayo for this but you can use regular store bought)
  • garlic, minced really fine (I use a LOT)
  • dijon mustard, or really any sauce like that that you have.  For example, i have a maple chipotle grilling glaze that i added to my mayo
  • lemon juice to taste
  • salt and pepper
dip your pickles in the buttermilk, then the flour mixture, then fry 'em up.  it's as easy as that. dip and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment