Saturday, March 12, 2011

it's been a while

it's been a while since I've written in here, and not much to report at the moment - babies do sad things to one's ability to create delicious meals.  We have started making our own baby food, which is awesome.  One breast of chicken makes enough food for almost 15 meals.  we cooked it in no fat, blended it until it was a paste, added some water, corn, and parsley, and voila - baby food!  Food processors are awesome.

I have a new favorite root vegetable: Japanese sweet potatoes.  Purple skin, creamy flesh, super dense but so delicious.  Slightly sweet, but not at all like a sweet potato or yam.  I've made mashed Japanese sweet potatoes with coconut but recently baked some fries out of two of them, and realized that most of the delicate sweetness from the coconut mashed came from the potatoes themselves, not the coconut milk inclusion.  I've only been able to find them at Asian grocery stores, but they did have them once at a Wegman's near my work.

I made beer battered asparagus for dinner last night, and fried some pickles with the left over batter.  we so infrequently fry things, but I wanted it so desperately, so...we did. and it was delicious.  made a dipping sauce from mayo (I know, Kimmy, you hate it - but you'd love this sauce!), garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, some dijon mustard, tarragon, salt, and pepper.  Delicious.

Another new favorite: Chobani Greek yogurt.  Oh. my. god.  Their honey non-fat yogurt is one of the most delicious things I've had, yogurt-wise.  Some ladies I work with said to avoid the honey, it's flavorless and gross, so of COURSE I had to buy it to see what it was all about, and it turns out it's my favorite.  You have to like the flavor or plain yogurt to enjoy it, but it's got this subtle bite of honey in the finish, just at the back of your tongue - I love it.  The nice thing about it is that it is filling enough to be breakfast on it's own.

Well, that's it for now.  nothing too interesting, but hopefully I'll have more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment